Updated December 17, 2020.
This website was created and published by Ideamotive on behalf of the Applied Machine Learning Days (“AMLD”, “we”, “us”, “our”), organizers of AMLD Events headquartered at EPFL, Chemin des Mines 9, Genève 1202, Switzerland. EPFL is the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, registered as a non-profit (Swiss Governmental Organization) under the unique enterprise identification number CHE-116.075.613.
We are committed to handle and protect your personal data responsibly. As such, we comply with the legal requirements laid down in the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection (FADP), the Ordinance to the Federal Act on Data Protection (OFADP), the Telecommunications Act (TCA) and other provisions of Swiss data protection law. We will also comply with the provisions of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) insofar as they apply to us.
The purpose of this document is to inform you which personal data we’re collecting and how we process them.
- the AMLD Events;
- the AMLD Events websites and their related subdomains including those pertaining;
- to registration for attendance at AMLD Events and to be a co-organize (tracks & workshops), speaker or volunteer at the AMLD Events;
- the Events apps;
- online surveys relating to the AMLD Events;
- messages sent via email from the Events organizers;
- the AMLD Events official social media channels.
2. Information we collect
We collect and receive information in several different ways. In many cases, you choose what information to provide, although some information is required for us to provide you the Services.
2.1 Directly from you, or approved third parties.
We collect a variety of information from you when you provide it to us directly, when we request it from you, or when you give us permission to get it from a third party source.
- Newsletter registration information. When you register to the AMLD Newsletter, you must provide us with basic information such as an email address. We also give you the option to provide additional information.
This information will only be shared with our third-party marketing platform Mailchimp.
- Attendee registration information. When you register to attend an AMLD Event, you must provide us with basic information such as name and email address. We also give you the option to provide additional information.
This information will only be shared with our third-party ticketing partner Ti.to and our third-party marketing platform Mailchimp.
- Payment and credit card information. When purchasing tickets to attend an AMLD Event, you must provide us with your name, email address, and credit card.
This information will only be shared with our third-party ticketing partner Ti.to and our third-party online payment processor Stripe, who perform tasks required to complete the purchase transaction.
Stripe does not share your financial information, like credit card numbers, with AMLD, but they may share non-financial information with us related to your purchases, like your name, billing address, and the event ticket purchased.
- Content submission. When applying to calls or submitting content to AMLD Events, such as tracks, workshops, challenges, presentations, startup spotlight, etc. you must provide us with basic information such as name, email address and organization.
This information may be shared with and stored on third-parties platforms such as Airtable and Google Drive.
- Speaker and Organizer information and profile. When involved with AMLD as a speaker or content organizer, you must provide us with basic information such as name, email address, job title, organization and profile picture. We also give you the option to provide additional information (social media links and personal bio). In some cases, we might look for already available data on the web and complete your profile for you.
This information may be shared with and stored on third-parties platforms such as Airtable and Google Drive. This information will also be publicly shared on AMLD websites on a speaker or organizer profile.
- Speaker or Organiser being reimbursed. In accordance with EPFL reimbursement rules, if you are a speaker or content organizer reimbursed for some expenses related to AMLD Events, you must provide us with your name, physical address, email address, proof of identity and full banking information.
This information may be shared with and stored on third-parties platforms such as Airtable and will be shared with EPFL Financial Department.
- AMLD Event app profile information. To attend an AMLD Event, you are encouraged to download an AMLD Event app. You will have the option of providing us with additional profile information in the AMLD Event app, such as name and email address, and whether you want your profile information to be discoverable within the app by other attendees and partners of the AMLD Event.
- AMLD Event survey responses. We may ask you to participate in optional surveys regarding your experience at the AMLD Event in order to help us improve the event and for related commercial purposes.
- Third party social media accounts. If you choose to connect your social media account(s) with the AMLD Event app, we may receive certain information from that account, such as your title, picture, and other information you authorize. We may use your friends or connections lists to make recommendations in the AMLD Event app, for example to suggest mutual connections.
2.2 From your browser or device.
We automatically collect certain information from your browser or device when you use certain Services or read a message from us.
For example, we collect:
- data regarding the device you are using, such as its unique identifier and operating system; logs will be recorded by our servers based on the information sent from your app or browser;
- information automatically as you navigate through the site using cookies and other tracking technologies. (Information collected automatically may include usage details, email address, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies).
3. How we use your information
We use your information in order to provide, operate, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services, including:
3.1 Providing and improving the requested Services.
We use your personal information as necessary to run AMLD Events, such as to register attendees, issue tickets, facilitate information sharing with partners with whom you have consented for us to share information, and provide you with relevant connections and content during the Event based on this information and your use of the AMLD Event app.
3.2 Communicating with you.
We use your personal information to contact you regarding your registration to attend, volunteer, organize content or speak at an AMLD Event, to communicate with you, to notify you of any changes to our policies and practices, for commercial, sales or partnership purposes, and to respond to any requests or inquiries you may submit to us. If you subscribe to marketing, such as newsletters, we will use your information as described below. We may collect information from these communications to improve our Services and for the training and development of our staff.
If you opt-in to receiving marketing communications from us, we will use your personal information for outreach and marketing, such as to send you information about our future AMLD Event. You can opt-out of these communications by using the unsubscribe links in our communications. We may also use your information in order to market the AMLD Event. For example, we use photos and audio-visual footage from past Conferences which may contain your image or voice. If you want to exercise your right to object to any of these uses please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each time a newsletter is sent out, information is generated about the address file used, the subject, and the number of newsletters sent. We can also see which addresses have not yet received the newsletter, which address it was sent to and for which addresses sending failed. In addition to that, we can see the opening rate, including information about the addresses that opened the newsletter and clicked on the various links and/or made a purchase (tracking pixels). Finally, we can see information about the addresses that have unsubscribed. We use this data for statistical purposes and with a view to optimise the newsletter content and structure.
4. Data storage and sharing with third-parties
We may store your data electronically. Any data stored electronically will be stored in EPFL’s own (NAS file storage service using the CIFS protocol) secure servers.
We employ professional services from companies and individuals to help us operate our Services. Some of your data are therefore shared with and stored by third-parties.
We may share your personal information with the following third-party service providers:
- Airtable. We use Airtable to collect, organize and manage information and records useful to AMLD Events organization. More information on the privacy practices of Aitable https://airtable.com/privacy.
- Amazon Web Services. We use AWS as cloud storage for our website. More information on the privacy practices of AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/privacy/.
- Google Apps. We use Google Analytics to track website traffic (web analytics service). Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our websites. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualise and personalise the ads of its own advertising network.
We use Google Drive, Google Docs and Google Sheets to collect, organize and manage information and records useful to AMLD Events organization.
More information on the privacy practices of Google: https://policies.google.com/privacy.
- Mailchimp. We use Mailchimp to manage our newsletters and as a marketing platform. More information on the privacy practices of Mailchimp: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/, more specifically the “Privacy for Contacts” section https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/#3._Privacy_for_Contacts.
- Stripe. We use Stripe as payment services. Stripe collects identifying information about the devices that connect to its services, personal information and credit card information. Stripe uses this information to operate and improve the services it provides to us, including for fraud detection. More information on the privacy practices of Stripe: https://stripe.com/en-ch/privacy.
- Ti.to. We use Ti.to to manage event registrations and tickets. More information on the privacy practices of Ti.to: https://ti.to/privacy.
5. Data security
The security of your personal information is important to us. We strive to use appropriate technical and organisational skills to protect your personal information. Despite these measures, the Internet is not a fully secure environment and we cannot guarantee that your personal information won’t be intercepted or improperly accessed.
6. Data transfers
As a global business, we access and transfer information around the world. If you are based in Switzerland or the EU, this means that we access and transfer your personal information outside of it, including in and to the United States. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in some of these countries may not be the same as in your home country. We transfer your personal information in accordance with law, and take steps to ensure that your information is appropriately protected.
7. Your rights
You have a number of rights in relation to your information that we process. Note that in certain circumstances these rights might not be absolute.
7.1 Information, Access and Porting.
You have the right to know whether your personal information is being processed by us, how we use it and your rights in relation to your personal information.
You may request information about the personal information concerning you and stored by us at any time. We will provide your information in an easily accessible format. Requests for information must be submitted in writing by email at email@example.com and must be accompanied by proof of identity.
7.2 Rectify, Restrict and Delete.
You have the right to demand the correction, update or deletion of the personal information concerning you and stored by us at any time. Requests for rectification or deletion must be submitted in writing by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and must be accompanied by proof of identity.
Please note that by law, certain data must be retained for a specific period. We are therefore required to store such data until that period has ended. We set these data apart in our system and only use them to comply with the relevant legal provisions.
7.3 Object and Revoke consent.
If we have specifically asked for your consent to use your information, you have the right to object to the processing or withdraw your consent at any time. For example, if we ask for your consent for direct marketing purposes, you can revoke your consent using the unsubscribe link in such communications, changing your profile settings or by contacting us.
8. How can you stop the use of personal information belonging to you for direct marketing?
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails.
- Email us at: email@example.com.